Sony has updated its PlayStation application to give it the best look yet ahead of the imminent Nov 12 PS5 launch. The updated PlayStation App, available on Android and iOS, is launching to enhance the gaming experience both on the next-gen PS5 and the PS4. For iPhone users, iOS 12.2 or later is a must and on Android, the phone should be booting at least version 6.0 Marshmallow or later.
Under the new update, the PlayStation app introduces a range of new features. A design overhaul is the first noticeable change giving the app a smoother navigation experience. The UI quickly shows what your friends are playing, and players can also check their trophies and recently played games.
The Party groups feature available via the app will enable PS players to create party groups. Sony has also introduced a voice chat feature that will allow a player to chat with up to 15 other friends hands-free via the app.
Furthermore, the updated PlayStation app has been natively integrated with the PlayStation Store, bringing the ability to shop easily and download both games and add-ons to your PS5 or PS4.
And for soon-to-be PS5 owners, there’s some more exciting news. You’ll be able to remotely launch games, “manage storage on your console if you run out of space while downloading a game, and quickly sign in to PS5 straight from the PS App.”
Sony has already started rolling out the new PS app.
Below are some of the amazing new features and designs.
- Updated user interface – The first thing you’ll notice is the sleek new user interface of the redesigned PS App. The new home screen lets you quickly see what your friends are playing and access details about your recently played games, including your Trophy List.
- Messages integration – For a unified experience, the PS Messages app feature will now be integrated in the updated PS App so you can seamlessly message your friends all in one place. As part of this integration, PS Messages will no longer be available as a standalone app. Your existing messages and threads in PS Messages will be carried over to the updated PS App.
- Voice Chat and Party Groups – You can now create party groups from PS App, and voice chat with up to 15 other friends though your mobile phone. Also, a note to fans: the PlayStation team is looking into your feedback around the Parties changes introduced in the PS4 system software update 8.00. There are no updates to share today, but thanks for speaking up about your concerns – we’re listening and evaluating.
- Natively integrated PlayStation Store and remote downloads – The new native PS Store experience enables fast and smooth shopping and browsing, with the ability to remotely download games and add-ons directly to your PS4 and PS5.
- New features for PS5 – When PS5 arrives, you’ll be able to remotely launch games, manage storage on your console if you run out of space while downloading a game, and quickly sign in to PS5 straight from the PS App.
- All the latest PlayStation news – The Explore tab surfaces Official News from game developers and PS Blog content to help you stay up to date with the world of PlayStation.